Wednesday 8 February 2017

Goal Zero Power Pack

Goal Zero 10 Plus USB Power Pack 

* Cost: ££££ (£43) 
* Value for Money: 5 
* Ease of use: 5 
* Construction: 4 
* Alliness: 1 





 This is a handy piece of kit I’ve had for a while now. When I’m out on the ground I probably use this at least daily. Basically it’s a combination charger and recharger. It takes AA and AAA batteries. You can either use it to power any device which plugs into a USB port, or you can use it to charge rechargeable batteries. 





 I have made a concerted effort to ensure that, other than my phone and tablet, my electronics take either AA or AAA batteries to make replacing them easier when I’m in more remote areas. I usually carry a bunch of rechargeable batteries with me so I always have the ability to charge my electronics on the move. I can then re-charge the batteries whenever I get the opportunity. 


 It’s a really sold unit, despite being made from plastic. It’s fairly hefty considering that it’s just a bit bigger than a packet of fags, but that’s the weight of the batteries inside it. It does get pretty warm when it’s charging batteries or charging a device, but this apparently normal. 


 In terms of its capability it will happily recharge an IPhone in about an hour, which doesn’t quite drain the batteries in the unit. I have yet to test it on a Sat Phone as I don’t have one which will charge from a USB cable. 




 When it comes to using the unit to recharge batteries you can power it in a number of ways. You can plug it into a 12V socket in a car, if you have the correct adapter; you can use the mains, plug it into a computer USB port; or you can use one of Goal Zero’s solar panels. I have used all of the options bar the solar panel and it works really well. Don’t expect it to be a quick job, it will take several hours, but that’s the same for any battery charger. 


 To sum up, it’s a really handy little unit that you will use a lot more than you think. I am more than happy with mine and never go anywhere without it! Check it out here.

This Kit Pest Review was written by Ben OToole. Hopefully you enjoyed it and if you have any thoughts or comments related to this article then leave a comment! 

 If you'd like to visit Cooper's Kit Corner, you can find it here.
 If you'd like to visit Gen Kit Exchange, you can find it here.

1 comment: