Wednesday 2 August 2017

Mora Frost Knife 860 'Companion BlackBlade'

  • Cost: £££ (£20.94) GET IT HERE 
  • Value for Money: 3
  • Ease of use: 5
  • Construction: 4
  • Alliness:         4
  We at Kit Pest are fans of the good old Mora, for obvious reasons.  So when I saw this, a Mora but also a bit more ally I decided it needed to be purchased.  At double the normal Mora price I felt I was getting alliness for my money.



  So I won’t go into the benefits of this knife, Coops has already covered that in his review.  Please read Coop’s review or this is going to seem like an overly negative piece on the Mora, which really is a great knife.  It is worth noting here that my knife came from the first production run they did of this model so the issues I have raised may well have been resolved.


  So my first observation is one that is common to all of Mora’s knives.  Why no left handed sheath?  Us South Paws make up 10% of the population, please help us out here.  Even if it was an aditional purchase that could be made.  I have a £10 knife in a £20 sheath just so I can wear it on my left!


  Ok, so my next observation is that they weren’t very bright with how they applied the black coating to the blade.  I pulled it out of its sheath and tested the blade expecting to find that razor sharp factory edge, but it was blunt.  When I looked closer I realised that they had covered the entire blade inculding the cutting edge.


  This meant that in order to use it I had to sharpen it.  This turned out not to be a happy event.  The coating basically chipped away!  This has left an uneven and ragged margin between the coating and the now exposed cutting edge.  Also the coating has started to chip away from the back of the blade just from going in and out of the sheath.  It is of note that I really haven’t used this knife as of yet so this chipping is really disappointing.


  Something  haven’t done yet is put it through the dishwasher.  With my normal stainless Mora I normally chuck it in if I’ve been doing something minging like gutting rabbits or fish, and it always comes out smiling.  This knife…… I’m not entirely sue the coating will take it.

So in summary, Mora have taken a great knife and made it disappointing.  Does it still cut green string and open ration boxes?  Yes, now I have taken the coating off of the cutting edge.  Will I still use it?  Yes I will, it is still a Mora after all.  Would I buy another one?  At double the normal price, no I wouldn’t.  This will be consigned to the camping tool box and will only get an outing once in a blue moon.  So, if you’re in the market for a Mora I would go for the regular shiny blade model.  If you are all set to be ally or be damned, you can get it HERE 

 This Kit Pest Review was written by Ben OToole. Hopefully you enjoyed it and if you have any thoughts or comments related to this article then leave a comment! 

 If you'd like to visit Cooper's Kit Corner, you can find it here.


 If you'd like to visit Gen Kit Exchange, you can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment